About us | Who we are | Join us | News| Events | Toolkit |
We are a movement of people working together for nature recovery in Sheffield.
Join us to get involved, contribute to our Nature Recovery Plan for Sheffield and let us know what you can do to help.
Sign up and find out more about Nature Recovery Sheffield below.
Watch our film below to find out more about Nature Recovery Sheffield and the actions people are taking for nature restoration across our city.
NATURE IS IN TROUBLE.
As well as a climate crisis, our wildlife is facing a critical emergency.
More than 1 in 10 of over 8,000 species assessed in the 2019 State of Nature Report are at risk of extinction – with 1 in 4 UK mammal species at threat of being lost.
Over 1,400 people and more than 50 organisations have signed up to Nature Recovery Sheffield and declared a Nature Emergency for Sheffield, with public support from the Leaders of Sheffield’s Green Party, Liberal Democrat and Labour groups.
On 16th June 2021, as a direct result of this mass support, a motion on the nature emergency was carried by Sheffield City Council, including commitments to declare a nature emergency and to deliver a Nature Emergency Action Plan. It is vital we tackle both the climate and ecological crises together, and ensure solutions to the climate crisis are good solutions for nature too.
Since then the NRS Coordinating Group have been consulting with those of you who have signed up to ask what you want to do to help nature’s recovery and what support you need to do this. As a result, we now have a clear Vision and Mission.
Throughout Sheffield, from our streets and neighbourhoods to the wider countryside, there will be an abundance of nature that is protected, cared for and experienced by everyone. We want to see:
- 30% of land and water great for nature by 2030
- More wildlife by 2030
By thinking globally and acting locally, together we will turn around the nature emergency and put nature in recovery in Sheffield.
We will get there by:
Growing, coordinating and empowering a movement of people to:
1) Protect & Restore: looking after land and water that’s already good for nature, restoring what’s in poor condition
2) Create: more spaces for nature, helping wildlife to thrive
3) Inspire: more people to take action for nature
More details can be found in the NRS Terms of Reference, NRS Aims and our forthcoming Action Plan.
Also in response to your input we have created a Nature Recovery Community Toolkit which is packed full of ideas, practical help and local case studies to help you take action for nature. Please take a look and tell us what you think, especially if there is anything missing!
Who we are
Click here to find out more about who Nature Recovery Sheffield are.
Nature Recovery Sheffield – Terms of Reference
What we want to do
Nature Recovery Sheffield – Our Aims for 2030
What actions can you take now for nature’s recovery?
We have lots of actions and how-to guides for things you can do in your garden or local green space. Take a look at our Nature Recovery Toolkit.
Coming soon – our Nature Recovery community map!
How to get involved
You can join in what we’re doing in lots of different ways:
- You could join the Coordinating Group – we are a lovely welcoming bunch!
- You could contribute to delivering an aspect of our initial Action Plan (coming soon)
- You could just tell us what you are doing so it can be shared with others in the NRS movement, through a case study as part of our Nature Recovery Toolkit, through a video or feature on our forthcoming community map
- You can just sign up to learn more about opportunities through the NRS newsletter