Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust and the Sheffield Lakeland Landscape Partnership are giving away some sunflower seeds at certain events and activities this spring. Join the Sunflower Challenge by planting your seeds, seeing how your sunflower grows and sharing the results using the #SeedSomeSun hashtag!
Sunflower Challenge Instructions
- Prepare some soil in a container. Don’t worry if you don’t have a plant pot, almost anything will do, including a cleaned-out yogurt pot! Just poke a couple of holes in the bottom to allow for excess water to drain and pack your soil in!
- Pop your seeds in the soil. Push them in about 1.5cm deep and cover over with soil.
- Sprinkle a little water over the soil. Be sure to regularly water your seeds to help them germinate and grow!
- Place your pot somewhere the sun will shine onto it. A windowsill will do! Then wait for your plant to grow and enjoy your flower throughout the summer!
Share regular posts about how you are getting on via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or your social media network of choice! Remember to use the #SeedSomeSun hashtag and Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust may share your posts and photos too!
Sunflowers: Did you know?
- Sunflowers turn towards the sun, following it throughout the day.
- Each flower produces between 1000-2000 seeds!
- Sunflower plants can grow to the size of a double-decker bus – the tallest ever recorded reached 9.17m!
- A sunflower symbol represents the Hidden Disabilities Charity.
- In Greek a sunflower is called Helianthus: Helios = Sun, Anthos = Flower. Helianthus is the genus name sunflower, which contains around 70 varieties!
- Sunflowers are said to symbolise loyalty and adoration.
Sunflower Challenge Tips
We’ve compiled a few tips to help you make the most of your seeds and grow the tallest, brightest sunflower plant!
Sunflowers can grow really tall! Once your plant starts getting too big for your pot you may wish to transfer it to a larger pot, or even plant in a sunshiney part of your garden.
To get sunflowers at different times over the summer, why not try growing each your seeds in March, April and May?
Remember to regularly water your sunflower as it grows, especially in warmer times where the soil in a small pot can dry out quickly.
Why not keep a sunflower diary? Regular photos and observations can be really interesting to look back at the progress of your plants throughout the summer.
Remember to keep sharing your progress on social media using the hashtag #SeedSomeSun! We’d love to see how your seeds are getting on and may even share your posts on our own feed!
#SeedSomeSun Social Posts
🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻— SRWT Connecting Steps (@SrwtConnecting) May 26, 2023
A glorious 1m 20cm, with a flower budding head and some mushrooms 💚
How are yours growing?@SACMHA1 @MCDTSheffield @soarcommunity #natureforeveryone #takingactionfornature #sunflower #SeedSomeSun pic.twitter.com/RugflLBIq5
Ta daaaa! #sunflower 🌻 – a bit of a surprise, growing inside the plastic cup used as a stick support eye-protector! #greenhouseeffect— SRWT Connecting Steps (@SrwtConnecting) June 29, 2023
Anyone else got yellow?#SeedSomeSun 🔆@MCDTSheffield @SACMHA1 @soarcommunity @vasnews @scesy_org @theoutdoorcity pic.twitter.com/cJVnAAv4oz
#SeedSomeSun @WildSheffield we planted our sunflowers this Tuesday with the young people in Eastwood. The young people decorated their pots so we know whose is growing quickest. Now we need to wait and see! pic.twitter.com/wKX04Cso1b— Clifton Partnership (@CLPartnership) May 11, 2023
BIG 🌻 DRAW on 1st October for 1year membership #prize with the @WildSheffield Wildlife Trust— SRWT Connecting Steps (@SrwtConnecting) August 4, 2023
SHARE your photos #SeedSomeSun🔆@soarcommunity @MCDTSheffield @sadaccawicker @sacmha @ZestCentre @SheffieldMind @sheffieldmefm @theoutdoorcity @CHAMPIO51749703 @vasnews @VARotherham pic.twitter.com/sbLvt2lMEt
Sunflowers #SeedSomeSun, seed bombs, #natureconnection and celebration of #connectingsteps in the @SheffieldLakes at @SheffieldAdv this weekend @soarcommunity @zest @refugeecouncil @sadaccawicker @MosaicOutdoors @MCDTSheffield pic.twitter.com/EyQJvxL5zQ— SRWT Connecting Steps (@SrwtConnecting) March 4, 2023