Outdoor learning training for primary schools
Our outdoor learning training offer is ideal for primary schools looking for:
- a whole team refresher in outdoor learning
- to kickstart plans to develop outdoor learning within a setting
- to explore how best to use an outdoor area or woodland within the setting
- to include outdoor learning as part of an INSET session
“The staff were pretty fired up after today’s session. Here’s to an exciting year of outdoor learning!” Pamela Smith, Head of Grenoside Primary School
The programme is split up into two workshops, which can be booked separately or as a series.
Workshop 1: Introduction to Outdoor Learning
- £250 per two-hour session – per school, for up to 35 staff members
- This aims to give teachers an introduction to the practicalities of teaching children in the outdoors, in order to boost both their confidence and inspire them to lead activities outside as part of their weekly routine.
- The session is split into five parts: 1) overcoming common barriers to outdoor learning 2) health and safety and the outdoors 3) structuring outdoor learning sessions to maximise learning and manage behaviour 4) a practical demonstration e.g. firelighting (teachers will observe rather than participate) and 5) top tips – simple practical ideas for learning activities outdoors.
- This is meant to be a taster session and so teachers will get the opportunity to start to create their own risk assessment for a site within your setting, and have a go at one of our ‘top tip’ activities, but they will not be given specialist training in bushcraft skills.
Workshop 2: Mastering the Art of Outdoor Learning
- £100 per staff member for 3 hours, for min. 6 max. 12 staff members
- This is intended to provide your staff with a more in-depth training session around outdoor learning techniques. We keep groups small to maximise the learning outcomes.
- The session follows the same five-part structure as Introduction to Outdoor Learning, but there is much greater opportunity for:
- Teachers to get hands-on and practice outdoor learning activities (e.g. several of our ‘top tip’ activities would be explored)
- Our leader to tailor the session to the needs of individual teachers and the skills or concerns that they want to focus on (because of the limited number of attendees)
- Exploring particular topics coming up in the school and how these could be taught outside (this is often a particularly effective way of ensuring that teachers take the training outcomes back into their teaching lives).
- If staff have already taken part in the Introduction to Outdoor Learning, then the session would start from the level of understanding that they have gained at this point, and some training in simple, practical bushcraft skills would be introduced at this point.
The Trust has a strong track record of providing outdoor learning training to local primary schools. Pamela Smith, Head of Grenoside Primary School, reported back to us after our INSET session with them, “The staff were pretty fired up after today’s session. Here’s to an exciting year of outdoor learning!”.
To find out more or to book a workshop, please email us or call 0114 263 4335.